Pages

Monday, May 18, 2009

Miller J. Fields Park - Lee's Summit

We went to Miller J. Fields Park last week for my mother's group, which unfortunately, only me and one other mom ended up meeting there. Really, it was too bad because it was a beautiful day; but it did give me time to take more pictures of the park and remember some things to make sure to put in here about it.

Location: 345 Se Circleview Dr,
Lee's Summit
, MO 64063
This park is nestled right in the middle of a suburb off of Langsford Road. I was talking to the other mom who was with me and asked her how well she was able to find the park. Her response was, "I've been here three times before - and I still have problems finding it! I end up driving around the neighborhood until I happen to come across it, every time!"
I concur. It is hard to find, unless of course you know the neighborhood like the back of your hand, which I definitely do not know all of Lee's Summit like that. I had my G1 with me giving me directions on the go to get this park and I still had to turn around once! This isn't just the park's fault - I am just super bad at following directions!

Amenities: The playground itself makes Miller J. Fields an awesome park in of itself. The playground here rocks! There are two different playground here - like with most playgrounds with two structure, there is one intended for older children (6-12) and one for under 6.
Both structures are well maintained and structurally sound - and my three year old had fun on both structures, not just the one for under 6. There is also a swing set with both
toddler and normal swings. There really is no unique features to the playground equipment and this seems to suit the playground well. It's a nicely done overall playground - good old outside fun.
The playground is made up of wood chips, which is not my first choice for a ground covering, but beats, say, gravel or river pebbles like my old playground at school used to have... so many memories, so many injuries!
There is two benches that serve the whole playground which is not very many for a park of it's size, however, there is a covered picnic area with tables very close to the
park that be used for seating as well. Both benches are in the shade, but alas, the park is not. Bring out your sunscreen for the kids. There is also a few nice mature trees around the park that look prime for sitting on a blanket under.
There is plenty of parking here due to the park doubling as a baseball field - so there is plenty of parking if you are there on a non-baseball day. Also included in this park is bathrooms! Good gravy, I love parks with bathrooms! Also around the bathroom building is water fountains, which are pretty much a staple at all Lee's Summit parks, so no surprise there.
The Results:

Pros: Pros for this park are that it is just a great park! A very good size and it kept Peanut (my daughter) occupied so that I could attempt to finish the book I've been working on. It's in a nice part of town and has plenty of open spaces. The playground as well as the rest of the grounds were well maintained with freshly cut grass and somewhat newer wood chips on the ground.
Big pro - it has bathrooms!! Woo!
Covered and shaded picnic area for lunches outside are also a great addition.
Cons: Yet another one of those parks in the 'Very Hard to Find' category. That's almost the worst thing I can say about it. I suppose, if there is a baseball game going on then it has the potential to be busy and little parking.

Overall, we loved this park! Now that I have a better idea of where it is, we will definitely put this on our parks-to-visit list this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment